I took a few days off after winning Nanowrimo to enjoy Thanksgiving and having my cousin and her family in town. I’m still feeling pretty pleased with myself for managing to accomplish all 50k words.
One of the admins on the unofficial Nanowrimo facebook group posted a prompt today that got me thinking. “I want to be the kind of writer…” and we were supposed to fill in the blank. I was surprised by how easily my answer came to me.
- I want to be the kind of writer that can write full-time and pay my bills doing what I love.
- I want to be the kind of writer that treats her fans well because I’ve been treated very well by some of the finest authors in my genre and it’s done wonders for my confidence.
- I want to be the kind of writer that helps other writers.
- I want to be the kind of writer that brings hope to people like me, and enjoyment to all my readers.
- I want to be the kind of writer who makes a difference.
Answering the prompt really didn’t require much thought on my part because over the last two years or so I’ve done a lot of thinking about this very subject. I know what sort of writer I am and want to be, because it’s who I am. Every other job I’ve ever taken, every other hobby I’ve pursued, it all comes back to doing and being THIS in the end. I am and always have been a writer.
Now I just want to be the kind of writer that gets paid.
The query letters are in the works.
Soon. Very soon.