I hate New Year Resolutions. They are a great way to start off strong but more often than not, they set us up for failure when we don’t meet all of them and feel guilty about it. So I am giving up on the word “resolution” this year. I am not resolving to do anything. What I WILL do, however, is send my ambitions out into the Universe and chase after them with a passion.
So without further ado, here are my writing ambitions for 2017:
- Write every day. It doesn’t matter if it’s fifty words or fifty thousand. The driving idea behind this one is to stop letting the ideas linger in my head and get them out onto paper or computer or whatever, and then get them polished to submit or self-publish.
- Read a book a week. My writing suffered from my lack of reading in 2015 and 2016. I can tell. So it’s time to get back to what inspired my love of writing stories in the first place.
- Submit, submit, submit. Not going to make the leap from hobby writer to paid author if I don’t overcome the anxiety the second half of 2016 brought me and just do it.
- Love what I do. I hold tightly to the belief that the Universe cursed my health so that I would have to quit my day job and write. I want to love what I do for a living and I know writing is my ultimate destiny. I want to love every day of this opportunity, even if there will be moments I do not love so much.
- Get paid. It’s totally my year, if I put the work in, because editors are looking for the kind of projects I have to offer. I’m excited.
Such simple things on paper. I hope to do myself proud this year and make these simple ambitions happen.